How to create unlimited push notifications with unlimited users in joomla free for life
In current internet world when the timing of latest information is very important to flow between news service/websites/application and the users, various techniques are used like sending emails to users, sending SMS, RSS Feeds or searching the information on search engines.
Why use Push Notifications?
Sometimes searching latest information on internet is very cumbersome for users and sending frequent emails by websites have issues of spamming. Some very prominent email servers like Google and Microsoft react very hard on such emails as white labelling of sender's email address is also considered as spam in 90% cases, as subscribed users also push spam button in received emails, when they don't need such information any further. However, earlier, they may have subscribed it. In such cases, the website owners or news agency find themselves in very awkward situation by loosing their subscribers and blacklisting by spam protector services. Meanwhile Apple in 2009 and Google in 2010 started cloud based Push Notification services to meet the challenges of email spamming, direct messaging and directly controlling the subscribers of the news and information from their browsers with more power to subscribers to control their subscriptions from their browsers itself as well as instant notification of the latest information available on the websites.
Push Notifications in Joomla
There are various Push Notification services available in the market and maximum are paid services but some are free, limited to the number of subscribers, usually upto 1000. Here, we are discussing the integration of push notifications services into Joomla. If you want to go free for push notifications then best known free service till now was Onesignal. But as a free service, Onesignal also misses the full features and limited to number of websites and number of subscribers. It also misses the RSS-to-Push services, tagging, analytics and support. PushCrew is also other option but you can send only limited mobile notifications with limited number of subscribers and it also misses RSS-to-Push services. PushEngage also have almost same number of limitations.
Why use TruePush?
Now come to next TruePush, a universal Push Notification Service (available almost for all plateforms) with unlimited subscribers, for unlimited websites and unlimited projects and best thing is, it is free for ever push notification service after free registration. The installation and integration guide for Joomla is available on TruePush website, but we will explain the installation, integration and sending simple push notifications to your subscribers in easy way. You will be able to transform your blogging or simple website into an application where your users can access your latest blog article instantly by clicking the notification from their mobile or desktop.
How to install TruePush - Push Notification in Joomla?
You may or may not have the HTTPS website, but TruePush will work in both cases. For HTTPS website follow steps from 1 and for only HTTP, follow steps from 5.
- After registration to TruePush, go to TruePush Dashboard, create the project for your website, name it like your website name.
- Now, go to Code Integration. You will find the button Download this sw.js file.
- Go to your web server where you have hosted your website through file manager and browse the public_html or base folder where main index.php resides.
- Upload the sw.js file, reconfirm the upload by browsing https://yourdomain/sw.js, you will see JS code in the browser.
- If you have editor in your web server, then open index.php in editor and paste the code found in TruePush Dashboard at the bottom before closing Body tag, save the index.php.
- You may also have template where you may find options to add custom code in template before Head and before Body Tag. In this case you may avoid editing the index.php file directly and add code in template options from backend. This will also remove chances of overwriting the TruePush code in case you update your template.
How to send Push notifications using TruePush to users in Joomla?
- After installing and setting-up and the sw.js and adding code in index.php in your website, either directly or through template options before Body, now go to the settings in TruePush Dashboard.
- Add your domain name, pay attention to using HTTP or HTTPS.
- Add your website icon and add the opt-in style. Here we have used Bell icon.
- Add ask-in option in "seconds", this means, after how many seconds the user will see this Bell icon to opt-in Notification. It may be Page-refresh, New Session or Specific Time.
- Now create a Welcome Notification. This notification will be seen when users will click and accept Allow Notifications after Bell icon.
- Now select Notifications for all browsers except Safari.
- Now save the settings. Your first configuration has now completed and you are able to send the Simple Notifications.
- Now come to your website fronend. You can refresh your website Home Page to enable JS code to run and connect TruePush. You may find a new Bell Notification at the bottom in right side after few seconds, what you have set in ask-in option.
- When you or your users click this icon, you will get another notification just below the browser URL like this:
- If your users accept Allow Notifications, then your users will get all notifications in their browsers, when you send notification, either by simple method or automatic notifications (Though your website RSS Feeds). Users will also see the welcome notification in bottom at right side, just where they will get the future notifications for your website blog posts. The frontend user interaction has now completed.
- Now it is time to send Simple Notifications through TruePush Dashboard. You will find a button on top in TruePush Dashboard Menu like this:
- You will be directed to Campaign Menu, because every Notification to be sent is considered a campaign having its own analytic metrics. So, simple notification will also be considered as campaign and will have its own analytic metrics.
- In campaign menu, under notification details, copy your blog post URL from your website and paste here. If you click fetch URL contents, then you would not need to type the notification title and notification message but you must have enabled and filled the meta data for that blog post in your website. After clicking fetch URL contents, your blog post URL data will be fetched automatically including blog images. Your website icon will also be automatically picked-up, what you have set in settings in TruePush Dashboard. You will see, two images under Notification Images, website icon and first blog image. you may change the icon and blog image here also, before sending this Simple Notification.
- You may also set additional analytics like additional data, timing for notification, campaign expiry in Hrs. You can send this notification to all subscribers or segmented subscribers. You can set the segment before sending this notification like, country, city, timing etc, but for a while, you can select all subscribers and Send Notification.
- If you or your users have subscribed for notifications in their desktops or mobiles, they will get the instant notification in your desktop and mobile also. You can check and confirm the Number of Subscribers in the TruePush Dashboard before sending this simple notification.
- Here below, I have tested this blog post notification in the following images:
This is Desktop Notification example:
This is mobile Notification:
Now you can send unlimited notifications to your unlimited users through TruePush Dashboard. If you have already written few number of your blog posts, you can send simple notifications for each post on per day basis until you set-up the Automated Notifications through RSS Feeds. We will discuss the automatic sending of notifications through RSS Feeds in separate post.